Baked Rice Pudding
One of Joyce’s favourite desserts and one of my personal best rice pudding recipes.
- 0.5 cup Short-grain Rice (Jasmine works very well)
- 3 cups whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 oz butter
- 1/4 tsp Grated Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 275F
- Butter a 1 quart pie dish or souffle dish or four small oven proof dishes
- Wash the rice
- Place the rice in the buttered pie dish. If using four small oven proof dishes it works out to about 2 level tbsp of rice per dish.
- Gently heat the milk, salt, sugar and vanilla essence in a saucepan, stirring well until the sugar dissolves. Do not let the milk reach a boil.
- When the sugar has completed melted and the milk mixture just begins to simmer, remove from heat.
- Pour the milk over the rice in the pie dish or small oven proof dishes.
- Dot the rice & milk mixture with a couple of tiny (and I mean tiny) pieces of butter.
- Lightly sprinkle the nutmeg over the top of the rice & milk mixture.
- Cook in oven for about 2.5 hours. About half way through the cooking process gently stir the rice & milk mixture. The dish is cooked when all of the milk has been absorbed and the rice is soft and fluffy.
Thoroughly washing the rice until the water runs clear removes the starch, preventing the rice from becoming "gummy" when cooked.
For Joyce, cook for 90 minutes to 2 hours as she prefers a creamier rice pudding with a little moisture.