Copycat Corner Bakery D.C. Chicken Salad
There is no one “best” chicken salad recipe. I’ve tried several dozen over the years, and I use about five of them as a staple go to recipe when I need chicken salad.
- 125 ml mayonnaise
- 600 grams chicken breasts cooked and chopped, about 4 breasts
- 100 grams red onion chopped fine
- 100 grams celery stalks chopped, about two stalks
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple chopped fine
- 40 grams dried currants 1/4 cup
- 40 grams slivered almonds about two tablespoons
- Chop up the chicken in to small cubes
- Chop the red onion
- Chop celery
- Chop apple
- Sliver the almonds if they aren't already
- Mix everything except the chicken in a large bowl
- Finally mix in the chicken
- Refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavours develop
You can use a whole roasted chicken. Just de-bone the chicken and shred the meat. I've used store bought rotisserie chicken in a pinch.
You can substitute either British Salad Cream instead of mayonnaise if you prefer. An alternative, if you can stomach it, is Miracle Whip, which my mid-West in-laws go nuts over but frankly I cannot stomach the flavour of.